The Important and Critical Connection of Projects with Strategy
Presented by Shawn Wilson, Facilities Program Manager | City of Boise
Projects should be the benefits realization of strategic planning and asset management programs. On the surface, it is difficult to easily see how a specific project supports the broader goals of an organization. This presentation will focus on how those connections can work in a public agency. The information gained from this conversation will include:
- Understanding the hierarchical connections with projects.
- Navigating strategy in development versus adopted framework.
- Identifying the right project using data.
- Defining the scope of the project early to deliver successfully.
- The importance of managing projects to the scope to support strategy.
- The #1 tool for communications is providing the right information.
- And why a good project manager should be outcome agnostic.
You can claim 1.0 PDU for the this Lunch and Learn. The topic aligns with any/all of the PMI Talent Triangle® components.
Quick Tips for Attendees New to the Hopin Virtual Meeting Platform
- Use Chrome or Firefox for best browser results.
- If using an Apple device, test your device security settings to ensure mic/speakers/monitor are accessible to Hopin.
- Attendees will enter the session with their mics and cameras automatically turned off.
- Attendees can click the Request to Share Audio/Video button to temporarily participate “on stage” with the speaker.
- Attendees can use the Session Chat window anytime.
- View How to Use Hopin as an Attendee 2:36 minute video
Register for the Event
- Click this link https://hopin.com/events/2021-mar-10-lunch-and-learn-shawn-wilson-facilities-program-manager
- The General Audience Ticket will be pre-selected
- Click the blue “Join Event” button
- Sign in with an existing account or complete the Hopin event registration form to create a new account. Registration Note: Enter an email address that you want event notifications to go – as well, this email will become the “username” for your new Hopin account
- You will receive a confirmation “You’re in!” email with an opportunity to add this event to your calendar.
- You will receive an event reminder one day before the event, as well as, an hour before the event.
Haven’t received your registration confirmation? Contact Lunch and Learn Coordinator, Brian Russell at email@example.com for assistance.
Shawn Wilson works as a capital improvements program manager for the City of Boise. Projects vary considerably from new fire stations and libraries, to facilities condition improvements across the portfolio. Prior to joining the City, Shawn spent his career as a chemical engineer in the private sector managing water quality infrastructure projects for public and private clients. Shawn has a passion for systematic problem solving to find the best solutions to meet environmental challenges.